Wednesday, July 11, 2007

night light

Last night as I was falling asleep I was visited by a (menacing, ominous) flashy green flying thing hovering at the end of my bed. In my half-awake state and in the dark room my mind automatically interpreted the little light as -- naturally -- someone standing at the end of my bed waving a green laser pointer at me. I'll admit it sounds a little crazy in the light of day, but at the time I swear my brain filled in the shadowy outline of a laser-pointered intruder. Creepy.

Naturally I freaked (a little).

My waking brain did the whole fight-or-flight thing before finally deciding that the sinister laser-pointer was actually just a firefly that had wriggled its way through the screen in the open window and couldn't get back out. And I have to say, sharing a closed, dark space with a firefly is actually kind of cool -- they're very bright. I opened the screen a bit and eventually its light went out, so I assume it returned to its firefly home.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of the radio controlled blimp story I sent you a couple of months ago.

Mom

Sarah said...

Actually, it reminds me of a recurring nightmare which does involve a green laser pointer and several professors that luckily, you don't know.

Ew.

Thanks for the reminder.

t said...

Hi Mom -- it did in fact remind me a lot of that story about the blimp. Except the blimp story was a lot funnier :)

Hi Sarah -- sorry about the laser-pointer flashback. Ew, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the chuckle!