- Hands down the best book I read this year was Stephen Kinzer's journalistic history of Nicaragua -- Blood of Brothers. Obviously not everyone is going to nerd out on this topic the way I did, but it really is a terrific book and I definitely recommend it to anyone even vaguely interested in Latin America or Cold War history. It's also a story more Americans should know and understand since Nicaragua is Case File #1 in American Interventionism Gone Bad.
- The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- The Magicians, by Lev Grossman
- Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest
- Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, by James Joyce
- Manhood for Amateurs, by Michael Chabon
- Little, Big, by
- Kraken, by China Miéville
- A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, by David Foster Wallace
- Halting State, by Charles Stross
Monday, January 24, 2011
Favorite Books 2010
Here are some of my favorite books from last year -- click to read my reviews on goodreads!